Monday, January 17, 2011

Who is Martin Luther King Jr?

That is the question I ask GP every single year before declaring Martin Luther King Jr a No Home school day. The way I see it, if you don't know who he was you have no business getting the day off. Yep, my house, my rules.
Last year my Prince declared, "I can't remember" when asked this question and I quickly replied, "Well, let's find out!" and we went on to a two hour MLK Jr tutorial. Last night when I asked the same question, my son did not skip a beat and he gave me the
condensed version, the cliff notes of all answers. "He says, "No violence!"", he replied and for the first time ever my son has the day off without a MLK Jr refresher course. Gotta love that!
Yes, Martin Luther King Jr did many things for our country and said many things worth noting but if my son remembers one single thing about this great civil rights leader and it's that he stood for "No violence!" well, that's good enough for me.
My job here is done. I feel so accomplished, it's the little things that make me happy.

9 comments:

Anna said...

I read your post out loud to my DH and we both got a chuckle. You are a mother after my own heart.

Anna
www.wooliemammoth.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

Good for GP! I'm with him-"No violence!"
Bless you both and enjoy your day~
~Sheila

Jenny said...

I love that you did this. What a cool Mom you are!

Rocking Chair Stitches said...

And that my friend is what makes you an awesome mom and person with no regrets!!!

Love you
Michelle`

WoolenSails said...

That says it all.

Debbie

Friendship Crossing said...

I commend you for taking the time out of your busy day to find out who he really was and enforcing that rule in your house! Good job GP!!! and momma!! :))

Tanya

Lynn Barbadora said...

Thumbs up for GP.......and for you too Brenda....you are one AWESOME Mom......and A good friend I might add!
Hugs,
Lynn

trash said...

That GP, he gets to the heart of any issue, doesn't he?

My girl had to do a report on someone who had made a difference by their actions - she went with Rosa Parks and I have to say I learned a lot from it too.

We have considerable awareness of MLK but I hadn't realised that the situation coalesced around Ms Parks and proved the spark to MLK's flame.

No violence - you got that GP.

dana said...

This post just put a lump in my throat. That boy of yours hit the nail on the head...and without a "refresher course".

I have to share a story from a few years ago when I was working in a private school for severely delayed children...and with a few BD kiddos tossed in to boot. It was near MLK's birthday and the kids had colored pictures of him and taped them on their study carrels. As I returned the little boy I'd been working with back to his desk, he stopped and pointed to one of the pictures and with a wink and a knowing look he turned to me and said "King Luke"! :) I never see a photo of MLK that I don't recall that moment with that little guy.

dana