Sunday, July 19, 2009

Translate, please...

I'm sweating like a pig. I'm carrying bolts of fabric out of the Pumpkin Patch and I'm exhausted. GP says, "I can't find my sandals" while Gino sits there...with the patience of a sloth...just waiting for him to find the sandals. GP starts to get frustrated and things start to look bleak. I stop what I am doing to help him find his sandals, while I huff and puff and let the puertorrican in me get the best of me. I give my spanish growl, "Ay, Dios MIO!" and GP comes running from the living room, stands right behind me and says, "Translate, please!"
OMG! I looked at him and he was standing there absolutely serious...he was doing the little head tilt thing he does when he "doesn't get it". And I just started laughing. It never ocurred to me how weird that must seem to him. LOL!
Anyway, I never did tell him what it was because I had found the sandals and handed them to him in a fit of laughter, but I was just thinking of it and thought some of you would relate. Do you call the powers that be in another language? Do you huff and puff in your "native tongue"? I think I was having a Ricky Ricardo moment, LOL!

8 comments:

trash said...

I have little moments of that here although not quite the same as I am operating in the same language from the get-go. Sometimes there are just little cultural moments that just make me stop and blink
;-)

Gene Black said...

I don't have that experience per se, but I do sometimes use my minute amount of Spanish when there is no-one around who remotely understands what I said.

Even worse is when I am TRYING to communicate in Spanish and my high school French decides to "help" LOL that is funny. (and I get the oddest looks!)

strawberrycream39 said...

Ha ha! Too funny Brenda! When I get angry/frustrated, my latent Long Island accent comes out. LOL! I usually hide it pretty well!

WoolenSails said...

I grumble, does that count, lol.
I learned french which was the only language they taught up to high school. Just don't ask me to have a conversation in french;)

Debbie

Joanna said...

There are some words from NZ that I use a lot, and I know that I am the only one who understands them, but sometimes, there just aren't any other words that will do the job! Like this...I feel like such a hori in my jandals...go figure that one out lol!! Hey I have the week free - do you need help? Is it floor time?! I can carry bolts of fabric if I can fondle them at the same time!! Let me know!

Carrie P. said...

Funny story.

Fiber Babble said...

This past weekend being surrounded by my grandkids made me realize that my 'second language' is some serious potty-mouth. Fortunately, nothing really heinous slipped, but still...

At least they won't get me mixed up with any of their other female grandparents. I'm pretty sure that the others set themselves apart with cookies and trips to the park. I'm the one who tells them to close the %$&^ door! (I haven't turned into my mom - I turned into my DAD)

Susan in SC said...

How funny! This just made me laugh. I shake my head and say, "Bless you heart!" It's the Southerner in me.