Monday, July 13, 2009

Charity, it's simple!

I have to share with you one of the most amazing acts of charity that I have received because I can't even begin to tell you how many times I hear of people who say, "It's nothing" when in fact it is HUGE, and I mean HUGE, if you are on the receiving end.

We went to one of our local Panera eateries in Nashua (one of the very few places I am fortunate enough to be able to go and enjoy a stress free meal with GP because they take "have it your way" very seriously, and they are FAST as lightning!) Needless to say, they made his sandwich just the way he wanted it and in no time flat we were seated.

It was only after we were seated that GP tried his drink and handed me the cup saying "I need Sprite!" and Tasted the drink and yep, it was soda, but the syrup was missing. No problem, I think they'll just switch the tank and it's all good. WRONG! They were out of Sprite and I was up the creek without a paddle.

I swear when that woman offered me a substitution I looked at her with terror in my eyes and said, "My son is AUTISTIC", but could not say anything else. I stood there, out of words, and felt my eyes swell with tears. I had to face the fact that my son who was enjoying a wonderful lunch would NOT understand that they are out of syrup, and all hell would break loose. Just like that...as fast as you can snap your fingers...yes, that's how fast that is...it's all over! And as I stood back catching my breath and fighting my tears before I had to return to try to explain and "control my son" (ahem, discipline) to effectively exit "quickly and quietly", a young lady, no older than 20 came running out of the "sandwich prep" area and handed me a bottle of Sprite, just like the one pictured here. She handed me the bottle and said, "I had this in my lunch bag and I think you need it more than I do". I grabbed her and hugged her so tight I think she needed CPR when I let go. All I could say was, "You don't know what this means to me" but she was quick to reply,"I babysit a little boy with Autism, I understand" and she walked away. I caught my breath and returned to my table where GP greeted me with a big smile and a "THANK YOU!" that was loud and clear. I couldn't eat my own lunch having just "dodged the bullet" (you know how your knees wobble and you can feel your hands shaking after you have had a really bad scare? That's how it feels when you recover from a "what could have been" episode!) and knowing how blessed I had been because of that one young woman's simple act of charity. B=)

22 comments:

trash said...

Do you know? I sit here and I have tears! That girl is racking up the Karma points large!

Anonymous said...

just found your site thru Quilters Blog and I have no direct contact with any autistic children, but I too am in tears. bless her heart. now the goose bumps set in...thank you for sharing
Jenny
krousegirl2 at aol dot com

Kaaren said...

It's heartwarming to know that even with all the bad, there are still VERY SPECIAL people out there.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Now i'm crying too! I used to work with austistic kids, but in a group home setting. He's lucky to have you to run interference for him, those kids had to take whatever they got with shift changes and differing styles of workers. I know how you feel to a lesser degree as the mother of a terrible two-er!

Jess said...

I think I would have hugged her too!

Sheri Howard said...

You were blessed the good Lord had her on shift that day...what a small tender mercy of the Lord, that is what I think....she could just as well put a Coke in her lunch!

strawberrycream39 said...

What a sweetheart. Little things like that are so inspiring. And they're BIG things to others. So glad lunch turned out ok.

Quilter422 said...

what a wonderful thing to have happened for you and your son. please take a moment to write a quick note to the manager of the Panera praising that employee - it will mean the world to her!

Jocelyn said...

How very sweet of that girl. It was a "pass it on" moment. There are still people who do kind things.

Nancy said...

What a sweet young lady. Her employer deserves a letter praising her.

Dawn said...

I agree...another tender mercy from the Lord!! I love this story!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I've got tears running down my face...what a kind and very perceptive girl...what a beautiful story!

Susan in SC said...

Aww, this just brought tears to my eyes as I read this. She was your guardian angel today!

WoolenSails said...

Brenda,
You know that saying about angels on earth, I think you found one.

Debbie

Carrie P. said...

How very sweet and caring of that young girl. I am glad your story had a happy ending.

Wendy said...

I'm a bit behind with my blog reading , but I just had to let you know that I have a tear in my eye because I know EXACTLY how you feel! It often just takes a very small kindness to make a very big difference, I'm glad that happened to you today! x

Dawn Heese said...

It is often the little things that make the biggest difference. Kinda reaffirms your faith in humanity.

NDQuilter said...

God puts "ANGELS" in our lives. Yours was carrying a bottle of Sprite.
This was so heartwarming in this day and age.
Keep looking for the Angels in your life.
Rhonda

Julie said...

Such a wonderful story Brenda. What an angel that young lady is!

MARCIE said...

That is the sweetest story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I love stories where kindness solves problems!

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

That girl was wonderful and that sort of understanding really makes your day. I, too have a gorgeous little boy with autism.

Everyday Kathy said...

That is so awesome. My daughter doesn't have autism and it sometimes takes miracles to keep her from exploding. (She is high strung 3) So I can TOTALLY relate to this on one level... of course on all the other levels I can not imagine. What a great story. Thank you for sharing.