Saturday, May 1, 2010

What the Heck is a Round Robin?

A robin who needs to join Weight Watchers?!
No, you silly goose!
A round robin is a sort of group project where each person makes something and ships it off to other "players" who add to it. When your project has made all the "rounds", it comes back to you so you can finish and enjoy it. Simple, eh? =) Yeah, right! I didn't know what it was either so don't even play it!
I was recently invited to join in a Round Robin project by some very talented ladies and I thought I'd share my adventure with you ...
what the heck, LOL!
The first thing I had to do was make something to ship out, a base/background. Since it's a Wool Crazy Round Robin (did I neglect to mention that? DUH! Ok, so it's a WC Pincushion RR) and it's supposed to turn into a pincushion in the end I thought I'd make it round, so here you go...this is what I came up with...But then I thought the spaces might be too small so I made a little witch's boot to get the craziness started and OOPS! It didn't fit! Crap! So, I made another one. This one I kept as a square which later I will fold over and make into a rectangle/cylinder and will have all sides covered in wonderful applique pieces.... here's how it turned out.

Are you lovin' the boot???? I have teenie weenie buttons to add to it but I thought I'd add the embellishments when it comes back. I will also add the embroidery stitches when it returns. For the initial send off we just needed to have the background pieced so I'm sending it off as it is... All machine pieces and machine appliqued.

The others will be done by hand but this one is for me and I'm perfectly happy with my machine stitched boot... I'm saving my handwork to impress the other ladies, LOL!

You can see the other pincushions before they leave home, they have pics and tutorials... I'd post a tutorial but you know what they say about the blind leading the blind, LOL!!!!

Now go check out how the experts do it.

Pat Sloan, JoAnn Mullaly, Roseann Kermes

9 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is a fun idea and something simple and easy to mail, will be fun to see how each one is done.

Debbie

JAM said...

Way to go Brenda....Although I keep telling you that raw edged is way faster!:))))) I will be sure to add something very cute to yours!

Strlady said...

That is soo cute! I love the bootie!

Barb said...

love the boot....love the squares and love your little man below....he is lucky to have a mom like you!!

pat sloan said...

love the boot!! Can't wait to see it in person!

Anonymous said...

For someone who doesnt know what a RR is, you're off to a great start!! Im going to enjoy following you all!

Linda P in GA

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

What fun!!! And to share the craziness with wooly friends!!!
Can't wait to see the ongoing progress.

Shirley in Canada said...

Keeping an eye on this round robin! You all may even get me into making these for my sewing friends! :)

Gayle said...

Wish I'd known about this round robin in time to join! I know I'll never get the big crazy quilt made, but this would definitely be doable! Can't wait to see them as they progress!