Saturday, April 4, 2009

Economic Stimulus

We've had so many store closings in our little city that I am, whenever possible, going out of my way to shop locally. That sounds a little weird right? But think of it. Isn't it easier to just shop at the local Walmart where you can buy everything in one place? Save on gas, save on time, save your sanity? But when everyone shops at the big chains, the little stores that build our city's character go under. So when times are tough, as they are now it's up to us, the locals, to keep our town from becoming a ghost town.
That said, I have been teaching GP to shop locally as well and as with everything I teach him, I sometimes wonder if he "gets it". So here goes:
I'm driving to the PO, we're on our way to visit Trish of Heartfelt Designs in Paxton, Ma and we're running late. I tell GP we'll have to buy lunch on our way because we don't have time to stop and eat lunch. He asks, "Like McDonald's?". OMG! GP loves McDonald's! I have him on a "No more than once a week" schedule, and it had been a couple of weeks since his last visit so I mull it over and say, "That sounds good. We'll do Drive-thru." So we're on our way to the PO and drive past the McDonald's and GP say "OH,NO! We missed it!" I jump up and ask, "What? What is it?" "He says,"We missed the McDonald's. We need to make a u-turn!" I tell him, "It's OK, we'll go to the PO and then we'll pick up lunch at the other McDonald's, the one that's right before we get onto the highway." GP is silent. Then he says, "If we don't support our local economy all the good shops will close!" I swear, that is what he said! I guess he really was paying attention, LOL!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Yea for GP!! Our family ALWAYS tries to shop locally first..(unless it's the local quilt shop and then I go out of the area, cause she's trying to sell it and hasn't added a new bolt of fabric in 3 years..)
I also love to shop the farmers market in the summer. I don't garden so supporting my local farmers keeps me in fresh produce and them in fresh cash...LOL

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Yes and they do get it don't they. LOL.... I totally agree with you, supporting those that give us our most loved customer service and make our communities the great place to live, our neighbors. Its a sacrifice sometimes too, but a for a good cause.

Sheri Howard said...

Good for you and good for GP! It will take all of us trying to support each other, plus blogging/gifting and swapping to help cure the world's ills. Thanks for sharing!

Strlady said...

Okay, I almost fell off my chair laughing. That was just too funny!!

WoolenSails said...

I agree, too many good stores have been closing to the big ones. I like being able to go into a store and talking with the owners and getting helpful service when I have a question.

Debbie

Susan in SC said...

See Mom, GP does pay attention! How funny! I think I might just got o Mcdonald's tonight in honor of GP!!

Carrie P. said...

Isn't it amazing what kids remember.

Julie said...

GP is being a good citizen!! You are such a good teacher, I hope everyone will do as you say. I hate Wal Mart and avoid it as much as possible.

Wendy said...

I love your MacDonalds story! Just goes to show how well our 'munchkins' are listening even when we're not sure they are...lol!